Monday, August 20, 2007

Pregnancy Education & Etiquette

1. Don't touch my tummy without asking! It's weird! One of the best books I've read on pregnancy suggested rubbing the offending person's tummy back and saying, "Oh, I just wanted to see what a flat tummy feels like."

2. No more "you're so big" comments! You might want to think twice about the "any day now" comments as well. Case in point: "Oh, (long tummy glance) you must be due any day!" Response: "Actually, not for another 3 months." A for awkward.

3. My life is NOT reduced to discussing pregnancy and baby stuff only! I can still entertain discussions about politics, work, and life without self-destructing.

4. Don't assume I want extra pickles. Come on! I consider it a public education effort on the part of all pregnant women to let you know that we don't all crave pickles. Or anything, for that matter.

5. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. Pregnancy is a big part of my life right now, and I don't mind talking about it. (If you think this conflicts with item 3, you're wrong.)

6. Don't feel free to give unsolicited advice. (A general truism of social etiquette no matter what, but especially applicable during pregnancy).

7. Pregnant women can do alot. We can bike, run, swim, hike, etc. (providing our doctors okay it and everything's normal). Don't assume we can't. And, don't assume we will want to do any of that. Things feel different when you have a watermelon attached to your front.

8. I don't have to love being pregnant to love my baby.

9. Giving advice about food (you should eat more X and less X) is uncool, unless you are a medical expert.

10. Read this list again with a wink and a smile! After many years as a single adult, I can tell you that you don't have to have kids to have a complete life. But, pregnancy is pretty cool, for those of us who are experiencing it.

No comments: