Thursday, January 18, 2007

2006 Book List

Books I Read and What I Thought:

Kite Runner--best fiction I read all year.
Wind Up Bird Chronicle--haunting and strange. Worth the read.
Bag of Bones--my first foray into the world of Stephen King. Good.
Gone, Baby, Gone--disturbing.
Practical Demonkeeping--funny but predictable. I've got this author's number, apparently. I can almost finish his sentences.
How to Know God--amazing book. I talk about it to everyone. Read it.
The Triathalete's Training Bible--inspiring, intimidating, and way over my head. Maybe someday I'll be serious enough about the sport to actually use something like this! Until then, having it on my bookshelp makes me look hardcore....
The Gospel of Judas--interesting. Need scholarly help understanding some of its significance.
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius--like Kerouc's writing. Of a specific genre and young, hip, postmodern mindset that I find lame. Although it strikes me that perhaps I don't relate to it because I'm a girl.
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants--fun read. Reminded me of being a teenage girl.
Blue Shoe--not bad. I could appreciate Anne LaMott. Wait, did I read that in 2005?

I need to consult my bookshelf (which still happens to be boxes, at the moment)...back shortly...

Okay:
Me Talk Pretty One Day--okay. I thought I'd like it better, but it was still worth the read.
McSweeney's #18--excellent collection, as usual.
Villa Incognito--another Tom Robbins. He's my favorite author. This wasn't my favorite book of his, but I wasn't at all disappointed.
God Makes the Rivers to Flow--an amazing collection of spiritual poetry. Beautiful.
Memoirs of a Geisha--my second favorite book that I read this year. The movie doesn't do it justice at all. It was a very good book.

No comments: